Thursday, 9 July 2009

Blue Eyeshadow...hot or not?

Hey girlies, just a quick post (I'm always doing that!) to get your opinions on whether you like the blue eyeshadow look that's all over the catwalks at the moment with designers like Gucci. I used to avoid blue eyeshadow like the plague coz I wanted to swerve that horrible tacky blue eyeshadow/frosted pink lipstick look. Yuck.

But lately, after seeing different variations of blue tones on models and celebs, I'm really warming to this cool colour! The catwalk version of this trend, as always, is dramatic and vibrant, but as it has filtered down through the models to the celebs to the magazines to real people, the looks that have been born from this trend are really wearable and pretty.
There are so many differentvariations on the colour blue that I'm sure there's a shade out there to suit everyone.

One example of how to wear this trend in a soft and subtle way is the metallic pale blue lined eyes that Eva Mendes is rocking in the pic. This just adds a really hazy pop of colour to the eyes and I think it would work with any colouring. The fact that she (or rather her make up artist) has teamed it with bronzed skin, peach blush and a neutral nude lip just makes the whole look so wearable and summery. I love it!
The other variation on the look is a bit more dramatic and would have to be a night time look for me. The pic of Kerry Washington below shows how you can create a smokey eye with intense blues using bright blue, navy eyeliner and shadow to smoke out the eye. Once again, the rest of the face has been kept neutral which I think is essential to make sure you're not overdoing it and trying to cram in too many colours.
So guys, what do you reckon to these looks? Will you be trying them yourselves or have you already done something similar? Let me know if you recommend any products to achieve these looks. I'm going to try a blue smokey eye with my newly attained Sleek Acid palette!








19 comments:

  1. I used to only go for neautrals but I've done some really nice looks recently using blues and turquises (cant spell) and i love it!!nude lips and aqua shades would look pretty on youx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blue shadow because it pair nicely with my brown eyes. Of course, I'm not going quite as flashy as the models on the catwalk. I usually wear an icy blue called Subzero by N.A.O. Cosmetics (sadly they're not around anymore and I couldn't find them on ebay either).

    But since my wedding colors are seaglass blues and greens, I might start experimenting with some shades with more pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I think I need to be more adventurous with colour so I'm going to try this kinda look. I did a FOTD with a pale turqouise a while back with a nude lip and that suited me so hopefully the more blue tones will too.I saw some of the looks you did...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like turquoise and navy blue, but that's it...btw Lily Donaldson looks good in anything!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true that Lily Donaldson could wear a binbag and look amazing but look who's talking miss gorgeous...you are stunning Aleksis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved blue eyeshadow, but you do have to find the right shade! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pop of colour it can give and I do like it with a neutral face.
    I am going to try it myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Janaka - I have seen pics of you on your blog with blue eyeshadow and the brighter shades look amazing on you.

    @Michelle - You better do a FOTD or I will have to come over there and make you!ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried an a full on blue am a little to scared! I did introduce myself slowly by using Barry M Eyeliner Pen in number 5 which is a Peacock blue and is stunning just lining the top lid. I also have my eye on the Mac Liquidlast liner in Aqualine, it looks gorgeous and I think it would look great on your skin tone and with your blonde hair!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Shangri-La - I know what you mean about being nervous of bright colours. I have been looking for a blue/aqua/turqouise liquid liner for ages. The obession started when I saw an episode of Sex and The City when Carrie is sitting in the coffeehouse after having a fight with Aidan and she has lined her eyes with bright turqouise liner...it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. On me, no. But on those lovely ladies, yes!

    OMG I'm looking at Adriana Lima over there < and she is so gorgeous..I want to look like that right now! :(

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. I did a bright blue FOTD last Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blue eyes. Especially Electric Eel by mac.

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutly lovvvve blue eyeshadow! Its like red lipstick. you just have to find your perfect shade and it will work for you. I think blue looks fab on all skintones and hair colors. I think it would look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love blue eyeshadow. I also think it would look beautiful on you, with a pretty neutral lip...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Yinka - I saw that Blue look you did, it looked gorgeous on you.I don't think I could pull off the same colour but there's a shade for everyone they say so I'm gonna find mine :)

    @Marie - Electric Eel you say...what kinda product is that? An eyeshadow or a liner? You do realise I'm not gonna let the Scottish blogger meet thing drop now you've suggested it.ha ha

    @Sara - I think you're right. I need something a bit softer than the bright blue I have seen but I'm going to go on a quest to find my perfect blue...when I find it, I'm sure it will be true love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @mommylovesmakeup - I am really interested in finding a metallic blue eyeshadow or liner...I think that could look so good with bronzer and a nude lip. I have a liquid one from Bourjois but it's not quite the right shade.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love dark blue eyeshadow and pale lips :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)