Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Good Times/Bad Times

1) I had quite a big shopping spree yesterday and got some lovely clothes which include a matte sequin blazer from Warehouse and a gorgeous butterfly print dress from Dorothy Perkins (I am impressed at the new brands they now have) but I will post some pics of these sometime this week. I've still got to get that Dune bag I posted about too...

2) Whilst shopping I had a really good look through the new Fusion range at Monsoon and I could have bought the whole lot!There's some really amazing military inspired tops with a sequin twist on the shoulder pad trend, bright winter coats and amazing statement dresses...check it out!

3) My skin has been in amazing condition this past week, I'm putting it down to my most recent skin regime which is Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Face Wash/Mask, Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish, Korres Olive & Rye eye cream and Forever Living Aloe Propolis Cream. I love that moisturiser! I have also used the Nude Miracle Mask twice this past week to pep up my skin.

4) I actually managed to hold myself back when it came to makeup purchases this week...which is virtually unheard of!

5) ELF Mineral eyeshadow in Natural has been my best friend this past week (I have worn it three days in a row!). It's just the perfect daytime all over lid colour with a gorgeous sheen to it.

1) I have heard that there was a bit of a controversial debate on twitter last night about bloggers getting alot of products for free to review. I was apparently mentioned and I am quite upset about that since I put alot of time and effort into my blog and at the end of the day, you can't buy back time. Some people may not like the fact that I get free stuff but I'd like to know if they're giving the same abuse to magazine beauty editors since they don't buy anything they test and get everything for free? All I'm saying is, if you don't like it, don't read my blog. I'm not out to con anyone and I'm always honest in my reviews. And to everyone else who has shown support for me, thanks for keeping this little beauty blogger's world a positive place.
2) I woke up today with 4 bite marks from some little creature (I'm assuming it was a mosquito type fly or midgie)...but I now have huge lumps on my back, leg and one on my neck! Yuck!

7 comments:

  1. *groans* Here we go again. I'm sick to the back teeth of Twitter/Blogger at the moment.

    The "debate" on Twitter lasted for all of 5 mins and nobody was slagging you off. Somebody commented on the total cost of freebies you'd been sent and was just shocked at how much stuff it amounted to money-wise.

    I said you contacted PR companies yourself and had always been upfront about that on your blog and the general consensus was "whatever - more power to you".

    Please don't get upset thinking there were 20 odd people discussing and tearing you to shreds cos it wasn't like that at all. From my viewpoint it was a brief discussion between three of us (on MY page anyway) so I don't understand why somebody felt the need to run to you 'blabbing'causing you unnecessary upset as they're just contributing to stirring up further drama.

    Look on my Twitter page and see for yourself what I said. I've read your blog from the beginning and I think you're a decent person so I personally have no reason to have a go at you and I have nothing to hide so am typing this to silence any wicked whispers that may now arise as a result of your post.

    Unfortunately the fact that you DO get a lot of free stuff is gonna get noticed. It shouldn't, but this is the mean world of beauty blogging, so it will.

    Personally I don't really give a damn - fair play to you and 'do you' at the end of the day (which is exactly what I said in an email to you a few mths ago) but don't let every mention of it get to you - there are more important things in our day to day lives to actually get stressed about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't actually go onto Twitter and read the convo as I didn't want to go into who said what. Thanks for sticking up for me in my absence though. I didn't want to get bogged down by all the ins and outs of it and the post was really intended to weed out anyone reading it who had a problem with the free stuff and to point out that I'm not forcing them to read my blog. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally, think that if these companies are sending you products, for free, to review, that they must believe that you are going to give an honest review! On;y you control what you say on your blog. You don't have an editior comming up behind you and changing your words or twisting them around so that people think you are saying something other then what you are actually saying!!

    Most of the time, the people on Twitter who complain about bloggers getting free stuff are the ones that WISH they were getting it instead! My fake twin, Kell (http://www.unnecessarydrama.net/) gets products to review, and I trust what she says. If she likes a product, she says so. If she hates it, You're going to know that too!! Even if it's from a company that she normally loves! (Re: The e.l.f makeup remover pads.)

    Don't sweat what the girls say on Twitter, honey! You're too good for it!

    I love your blog and thank you for taking your time to do it! *muah* Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura! I actually did a big ol haul yesterday and did quite well with makeup too! I mostly bought..makeup 'accessories'. You'll see what I mean soon lol My skin is doing great too (KNOCK ON WOOD) and about the being sent free products..I just don't mention it on my blog unless I am giving it away. IMO it's none of anyone's biz *and* I don't want anyone feeling envious....especially when some of the products aren't even that good.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't be upset about the whole twitter thing, as Vex in the City said, it was nothing and lasted 5 minutes. No controversial debate and certainly no abuse about you! Someone simply remarked about the cost of products you've received recently. Not in a negative way, just impressed at the amount! I think it's just a surprise seeing higher end brands sending out products for review because we're used to all seing Maybelline and drugstore brands doing the rounds! As far as I know nobody was complaining about bloggers receiving free products either, we all get them after all! These things can get blown out of proportion. xxx PS. Your review of the Rose de Baum (I think that's what it's called) has made me want to run out and spend £30 on a lipbalm, I don't think I can convince my bf it's worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't go on Twitter that often but I just wanted to say that I appreciate your reviews whether you get the products free, find them in a tree or buy them yourself lol - I really enjoy reading your blog x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)