Sunday, 5 December 2010

My Search For The Perfect Red Lipstick...

It's definitely starting to feel more like Christmas time now.  I spent today watching the Home Alone marathon, then I switched to the Greatest Christmas TV & Film moments, then over to Muppets Christmas Carol!  I'm so excited because Chris is back from offshore tomorrow and it's my birthday next week.  I accidentally spoiled Chris' birthday surprise of organising a group meal with all our friends because I started trying to organise something myself.  He ended up having to tell me in case I double booked!  Poor thing, he was trying to be a good hubby...but I definitely appreciated the thought behind it!

So because my beloved is home, I'm going to take a couple of days off blogging but I'll be back mid week.


After introducing myself to a vivid pink lipstick, I decided I owed it to myself to find the perfect red for me.  Although there was a time when I never thought I would wear a super bright lipstick, I'm loving the way the right hue can illuminate your whole face.  I didn't think it was my 'style' but the great thing about makeup is that you can play around with it and it can instantly transform the way you look.  I'm definitely looking for a cool, blue-toned red and ideally one that is raspberry/ruby in tone.  These are some of the recommendations I had received from my lovely subscribers...


These next ones are more pinky reds but I love the look of all of them...


So my first foray into the red lip comes with YSL Rouge Volupte in no.17 (Red Muse), a cool red with a hint of violet reflections.  Apologies for the bigger pic in the collage below...I look less than happy but I can assure you I'm full of festive cheer at the moment!ha ha.


My first observations on wearing a red lip like this is that it instantly makes your teeth look alot whiter...I'm liking that alot!  Secondly, it slightly drains the colour from your complexion so you have to make sure you use a good bronzer.  I'm not talking about piling the stuff on but it's good to ensure you warm up the tone of your skin slightly or you could end up looking ghostly.  Overall I think this colour works on me, but I don't think it's my perfect match.  I am convinced that something with more of a pinky red tone would compliment me more.  Obviously the Rouge Voluptes are always of the highest quality, they feel moisturising and glide on effortlessly.  The colour also lasts well when teamed with the right lip liner and also when you apply one coat, blot with tissue, then apply a second.

I will be continuing on my search for my red lipstick soul mate...I love the idea of wearing red lips over the festive season!

23 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of that YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick, though it seems to come out a lot darker on your lips than the picture of it in the lipstick tube! I may have to give it a whirl!

    I have been on my own little quest for a red and have just literally just brought MAC's classic red and done a post about it! Must be something in the air!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can never pull off a red lipstick it looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look gorgeous - love your makeup! I can't pull of red lipstick unfortunately :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely in the reds. My perfect reds are Maybelline Color Sensation in Fatal Red and Estee Lauder Pure Color Classic Red
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red totally suits you and your colouring, you should def wear the look more often :) My favourite pinky/blue toned red lippie is Mac Red, much more moisturising than ruby woo or russian red but after a little while it sort of mattifies itself anyway. I think the blue/pink toned reds make teeth appear whiter than orange based reds do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE red lippy, couldn't live without it! Russian Red is a definite fave of mine and I think it owuld look fab on you. Revlon Cherries in the Snow has that sort of raspberry hue you mentioned and I also love Chanel Rouge Allure in Lover, it's gorgeous!!

    I've always thought that you remind me of Scarlett Johannsen a little, you can def carry off that whole blonde-bombshell-sophisticated-siren look!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You MUST try or at least GOSH Lambada! It's such a beautiful red, you might love it :)

    http://addictedtoalifeofmaterial.blogspot.com/2010/09/gosh-lambada.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mac rubby wooo is my favourite ever lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Emily - Yeah i think everyone turns to brighter lip colours in the festive season...for all those parties! :) x

    @charmed-chick - thanks...I never thought I could pull it off either but you never know until you try it.

    @roshas - thanks for your kind words :) x

    @legseleven7 - I've heard of the Revlon one before and it always sounded lovely...must take a look next time I'm in Boots! Thanks x

    @Beautyfiend - Thanks, I love the whitening effect it has on my teeth!

    @loveaudrey - wow, that is a massive compliment comparing me to here! I wish I had her figure!lol.Thanks for your comment :) xx

    @Parisa - wow, just checked out that GOSH lippy on your blog...looks really nice!

    @Tugba - I can imagine that would look fantastic on you with your hair and colouring :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wanted to love MAC Russian Red but the blue undertone is too much for my skintone :( My favourite red of the moment is the Viva Glam Cyndi, which is sadly being discontinued soon...
    Kat x
    If you like Urban Decay check out my Book of Shadows III/NYC Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Reyna@fashionmist - Thanks x

    @Kat O - That's always the way when you find something you like, it gets discontinued!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Utter Fun was a limited edition last Christmas and is very bright with a pink shimmer, so I still think that MAC Red or even Ruby Woo if you want a very matte one would be best for you. Also have a look at Bobbi Brown Hollywood Red, I think I may have already mentioned that x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second MAC Russian Red...it works so well on everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick looks gorgeous on you!

    Rouge Volupte Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  15. perfect timing for me! that color is gorgeous on you! i do think the same tones that work for you will work best for me too

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you pull it off fabulously!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful!

    jluvbirdee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look absolutley stunning, colour is your friend so run with it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to try red lipstick for ages now but im always to scared i might get that garish look so i stick to dark pinks, although the MAC Russian Red is one i may be trying out in the near future as its gorgeous! You pull off the red effortlessly :)xx

    secretsbehindtheclosetdoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The ysl looks SO pretty on you!!! You have the perfect shaped lips!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look like a glamorous pin-up girl! Very flattering on you!

    XO
    Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you get the chance to you should try Christian Dior's - Diorific La Dolce Vita Rouge lipstick because, about a year ago I went on a search to find that perfect, classic red lipstick that was sported by the film beauties decades ago and I really think that I found that perfect shade with that lipstick :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)