Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Molton Brown, Soap & Glory & An Update

So here I am apologising...AGAIN.  Once more I have been a little more absent from the world of blogging than I would like to be.  To be perfectly honest, I don't think that will change for the next couple of weeks. I have been so busy with the business, getting organised for another wedding show in February and agonising over moving house.  So I will try my best to keep blogging during this time...I promise!


Today I just wanted to mention a few things and give a bit of an update on what's happening with me.  Firstly, I had to share my growing obsession with good quality scented candles.  Let's face it, all women like scented candles because they lend a sense of luxury and romantic ambience to a room.  There are some divine scents out there but this week I have been obsessively sniffing the Molton Brown Myrrh Muske & Cypress Medio Candela.  It's gorgeously musky and woody and it gives the room a real sense of warmth and cosiness.  I know quite a few people who would baulk at the thought of spending so much on a candle but the more expensive candles have a higher quality of wax and tend to burn more evenly instead of just burning a well in the middle of the candle wax.  I also prefer the more authentic scents that the expensive candles emote...there's nothing worse than plasticky synthetic smelling candles.  I like to buy these candles as a treat to myself and drop massive hints to everyone that they're always a lovely gift to receive!


I know everyone in the blogosphere is well aware that Soap & Glory now have a make up line but I have only just looked into the range.  I have heard mixed reviews about the products so I was intrigued about what the range had to offer.  The first product I want to talk about is Glow All Out - a luminising radiance face powder.

"Use it to lift up your cheekbones or dust lightly all over for a 'moonlit' look. Featuring LIGHTSCRAMBLE™ lumisphere pigment pearls, an ultra-fine creamy powder shimmer finish and extended wear silicone technology."


I know a lot of people aren't keen on the Benefit-esque cardboard packaging but it really doesn't bother me.  I do like the whimsical product names and fun vintage-inspired packaging for this brand.

The powder itself is a light pink with shimmer that is definitely more of a sheen than shimmer.  It translates onto the face as a slightly pearlescent radiance...pretty.  The texture of the powder is pretty smooth and it's easy to blend into skin without too much work.  I personally wouldn't use this as an all over face powder as I prefer the soft matte look with sheen confined to the heights of my cheekbones.


For £11, this highlighter does a good job of lifting the cheekbones whilst looking subtle and pretty.  It's a nice Spring product for when you want that fresh look to your skin.  Does it compare to my beloved Dior Amber Diamond Shimmer Powder? Well, no, but relative to it's pricetag, it does what it says on the tin and when you're on a budget, you can't say fairer than that!


Supercat Carbon Black Extreme Eyeliner Pen is priced at £6 features "unique INKJET™ colour release & Gloss–Fix™ finish to give a rich and intense colour. The foolproof marker tip creates two looks - Fine point for a natural look or thick edge adds a dramatic flash! Uses long lasting, long wear pigments plus a high percentage of carbon black for intense colour release".


I am a huge fan of the felt-tip style liquid eye liner because they are simple to use, create a clean crisp finish and usually have good lasting power.  The precise nib on this eye liner pen gives you the versatility of creating a thin or more substantial line, depending on what look you're going for.  I was impressed with the intensity of the black liner and didn't have to apply it over and over to get the effect I wanted.  I did find find that it began to fade on the inner corners of my eyes by the end of the day but I would always take an eyeliner pen around with me in my make up bag anyway for touch-ups.  For £6, this liquid eye liner does a great job and given that I rock the cat-eye liner look almost every day, it's nice to have a cheaper option to pick up when I'm short on cash.  Another great liquid eye liner is the Loreal Super Liner for £6.49.


Now you know I am always looking into new ways of covering up my dark eye circles a.k.a. the bain of my life! Trick and Treatment Under Eye Dark Circle Concealer is priced at £9 and is described as a "long-wear, light-reflecting, under-eye concealer/brightener formulated with HALOXYLTM dark-circle -lightening peptides. (So you simultaneously hide and treat.) Trick & Treatment features a special yellow pigment mix to neutralize dark purple under eye circles, includes soft-focusing spheres to instantly minimize the fine lines, and is formulated with clinically tested levels of HALOXYLTM to help mobilize sluggish, dark under-skin pigment (so it slowly attacks the root of dark circles while instigating a quick ‘cover up’".


You can see from the pics that it obviously has yellow tones which are always good for hiding those purple tones under the eyes.  The texture of this concealer is creamy but light enough not to feel heavy on the delicate skin under your eyes.  I tried using this product on it's own but I actually felt it worked better when used OVER my Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light to Medium Bisque.  With those two products combined, my undereye area looked flawless! I was so happy to have fresh, bright eyes.  When used in conjunction with the BB Corrector, I found it didn't settle into fine lines around the eyes and it didn't budge all day.  Sometimes products just work better when you mix them up with other things you know will work on you!

HOUSE UPDATE!!!

Well, as of today, our flat/apartment has officially been sold and we couldn't be happier! There's a lot of waiting around for things to be confirmed and signed and thankfully that has all been processed with no problems.  We have found our dream house in the country (but strangely enough, it's also close to the city...very unique).  The property we are looking at is a converted mill that was built in 1850.  It has loads of land, loads of character and it's right on a riverbank with beautiful views.


Fingers crossed we get this place and if we do, I will let you all know as well as show you some pics of the interior.  It needs a lot of work but me and Chris are definitely up to the challenge!

19 comments:

  1. That house is gorgeous, quite unusual but really charming!

    I know what you mean about more expensive scented candles, they do burn better and the smells are always gorgeous. I love all Molton Brown products, especially their body washes. Sadly I can't buy them in Korea :'(

    Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING x

    I WAS AN UGLY DUCKLING BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will end up bankrupting myself buying all these fancy scented candles...then I'll be too scared to burn them!lol

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS on your house getting sold! I know how it feels to finally get an offer after all the home opens etc. Best feeling!

    P.s, I am holding a MASSIVE GIVEAWAY on blog - featuring a handbag, clutch, and jewellery! I would love for you to enter!!!

    BLOG: instinctofstyle.blogspot.com

    XO,
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best feeling and we've had great news now so will post about that soon! x

      Delete
  3. WOW!! The house is incredible, I can see why you want it so much!!

    Loving the candles too, I might have to try!

    Amy xx

    www.serendipitybeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect house for me and Chris! x

      Delete
  4. wow love the house, so serene and unique! Good luck with it all Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly...your good wishes may have done the trick!

      Delete
  5. The house looks amazing. Will have my fingers crossed for you. I haven't been interested in any of the Soap and Glory make up so far, but I do quite like the look of that highlighter. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was skeptical of the S&G stuff but there are some good things to be had! x

      Delete
  6. The house sounds like the PERFECT location...it's exactly what Matt and I are looking for as well. I am so happy for you and I cannot wait until I see what you do with the interior! Now go get some farm animals! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to come visit when you finally come over here! You would LOVE it! x

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your sale:) The house looks so tranquil. Fingers crossed for you, exciting time!
    I love many Soap and Glory skin and bathing products so not sure why I haven't really looked in to the make up yet. I do have the plumping gloss but it is yet to be opened. The highlighter looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I don't think S&G pushed the makeup stuff that much so not surprised not many people have been that aware of it

      Delete
  8. I saw the S&G things the other day but was very restrained...Well sort of! That house looks gorgeous so I hope you and Chris get it! Fingers crossed xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to be restrained with buying cosmetics lately with all the house stuff so that's kind of rubbish!

      Delete
  9. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    New-Brother BU100CL - BU100CL Transfer Belt Unit - BRTBU100CL

    ReplyDelete
  10. That house is beyond stunning! Fingers and ties crossed for you and your hubby keep us updated x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my site :)
    !#: Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot... The Cheapest

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)