Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Inglot, YSL & Some Jewellery Finds

After many weeks of good intention, I finally managed to check out the Inglot store on Market Street in Aberdeen.  After all the buzz surrounding Inglot in the beauty blogging community, I was full of anticipation to check out their products for myself.  Too often the emerging beauty brands don't even bother opening branches in Aberdeen, so I hereby salute Inglot for recognising that us Aberdonians enjoy our make up too!


I had a good look around and they have an impressive range of shades in every category of product.  However the thing that impressed me the most was the value for money and brilliant customer service.  As soon as I walked in I was greeted by Sunny, who greeted us with a smile and some friendly chat.  There really is something to be said for staff who are approachable and helpful.  It was possibly a mistake to take my mum along because she quickly became mesmerised by all the different nail polishes! (and yes she did end up buying a few things!)


They had amazing deals on such as £10 for two nail polishes or lipsticks (normal price £9 and £10 respectively).  It would have been rude not to pick a few things up! So I plumped for two nail polishes and a lipstick (cream).

The nail polishes I picked up were 166 (a sheer pale ballerina pink) and 869 (a bright fuschia/hot pink). I know, shock horror, I bought pink polishes! But in my defence, they just look good against my skin tone.


I am really fussy about nail polishes because I can never be bothered waiting around for formulas that take forever to dry.  However these were fast drying, true to the colour in the bottle and both lasted for at least 5 days without chipping.  The sheer fact that they have so many colours to choose from is definitely a massive plus for me! I will definitely be back for more to take advantage of the two for £10 deal.


The lipstick (cream) I picked up was 231 which is a bright coral shade.  It very much reminds me of MAC Costa Chic but without the slight frosted finish.  I actually prefer the formula of the Inglot lipstick because it applies much more evenly.  The range of lipstick shades was frankly mind-boggling and it took me ages to decide on one.


The 231 shade is definitely a true coral unlike some 'corals' which look more pink-based.  It is actually more vibrant in 'real' life than it appears in photographs.  I really like the creamy consistency of this shade and the colour pay-off is impressive for such an inexpensive lipstick.  The acid test with bright lipsticks is always in it's lasting power and this particular shade lasted 5 hours on me before fading (that's without lip liner as a primer).  The picture on the right above was taken after the 5 hours so you can see it still looks great.  I can see this being a summer favourite for me! It would look great with a tan!


After having an awful cold for over two weeks, my nose was suffering and I had developed a patch of sore, dry skin on my upper lip from all the nose blowing (attractive non?! ha ha).  I tried switching around my skin care and drinking lots of water to hydrate my skin but everything I tried seemed to be in vain.  It was time to pull out the big guns and the gun in question is Origins All Purpose High-Elevation Cream.  It's a formula that's especially suited to extremely dry skin.  It's a thick, rich cream that absorbs nicely and leaves the dry area feeling much more comfortable and less tight.  A couple of nights of this and my dry skin patch had smoothed over...crisis averted!  So if you are having cold-related beauty problems like that, you know what to do!


I have been wearing this mascara for the past two weeks and it has reignited my love for YSL Faux Cils.  After the smudgy catastrophe that was Faux Cils Noir, it put me off YSL mascaras for a while which is a shame because I love their original Faux Cils.  I decided to give their latest offering a shot in my quest for blacker than black lashes.  


YSL Luxurious Mascara Shocking Volume has been a welcome little helper for quite honestly pitiful lashes.  It has lengthened, volumised and stayed put every day since I started using it whilst making my lashes look intensely black.  My main bug-bear with mascaras is when they flake or smudge all over your eye area.  So annoying! I'm a busy girl and I don't want to have to keep checking my reflection to see a demented panda looking back at me.  So thank you YSL for releasing a mascara that is indeed an improvement on the much-loved original Faux Cils version.  It's even reasonably easy to remove which, after many late nights recently, has been a welcome change!  This mascara also comes in a variety of shades for anyone who prefers a more subtle finish.


You know I'm a cat-eye addict and a flick of liquid eye liner is a daily routine for me.  Once you have mastered the technique, it's a great way of changing the shape of your eye.  My face looks completely different without a cat eye.  It almost lifts the appearance of your cheekbones which is why it's a daily staple for me.  Although my general favourite for a full-proof, clean and tidy cat-eye is Loreal Superliner or Lancome Artliner, I decided to give YSL's offering a shot, Shocking False Lash Effect Eyeliner.  It's a felt-tip style liquid eye liner which I definitely prefer.  I had high hopes for this liner but alas it just didn't work on me.  I'm not sure if it's to do with the shape of my eyes but it smudged like a mutha all over my tear-ducts and created a holy mess.  This is a big thumbs down for me.


I'm still loving my mesh bow ring I got from Ebay a while ago...it's so cute, I end up looking at my fingers all the time!

Speaking of jewellery, I picked up a few bits and bobs from the Warehouse sale (not somewhere you would normally associate with jewellery).


I got the Savoy Statement Necklace with turquoise stones which will be perfection with a white blouse.  I love the contrast of the turquoise against white because it looks so fresh and summery.  The turquoise also works well with hot pink clothing for in-your-face colour.  It was £9 down from £35 so you see I couldn't NOT buy it!


I also picked up a gold-coloured dimpled coin bracelet with tassel which was £5 down from £10.


Lastly I bought this braided headband which can be worn as a hair accessory or as a necklace.  It was £8 down to £4 so yet another bargain.


I will be doing more posts this week about some of the stuff I have bought for the new house, an update on our search for a rescue dog and a surprise purchase.

12 comments:

  1. The lipstick looks lovely on you. I hope Inglot come to Glasgow! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inglot have really impressed me. Have heard great things about their matte bronzer so that's next on my list!

      Delete
  2. I like the look of the Inglot lipstick, such a nice shade for Spring. Have you tried CHANEL's range of liquid liners? I'm a big fan of the Ligne Extreme Liquid Eye Lines, it has a brush applicator so not sure it's everyone's cup of tea. They also do a felt tip pen version. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried the Chanel liners yet but will have a look in the next few days. I can't go without my liquid liners so they HAVE to be good!

      Delete
  3. Love the jewellery and the Inglot lippie on you! Such a shame about the YSL but if you are looking for a fab felt tip liner I LOVE L'Oreals new Super Flick xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOh thanks Holly, will have to check that out! The Inglot lippy is so gorgeous...the colour makes me feel all summery! (shame the weather doesn't match)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing haul! Adore that lipstick and the jewellery is fabulous! Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic! There are so many other shades I want to try...I'll end up buying loads I'm sure.lol.

      Delete
  5. The makeup kit shown in this blog is quite amazing. I want to buy this kind of jewelry. Can somebody tell me where should I go?
    toe rings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi hun, I'm from bonny Scotland also!
    I had to go unto Aberdeen to get INGLOT as well! I love this brand.

    My blog: www.makeuplinzz.blogspot.com

    Nice Blog & Post mines is still under construction lol X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your toy it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at wedding dresses
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jewellery it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at http://www.vicky-jewellery.com/hat-c-5/
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)