Monday, 27 February 2012

OOTD, New House Decor & News!

Although it feels like the most mundane purchase in the world, I felt the need to share it with you all regardless.  I often buy statement pieces in droves and forget all about the necessary practical items like plain v-neck t-shirts.  I realised that some of my favourite casual outfit pics of celebs are comprised of wardrobe staples like the perfect indigo skinny jean, a plain v-neck t-shirt and some killer accessories.  Sometimes the most simple outfits can make the most impact.


Jacket: Next Signature
Jeans: New Look
T-shirt: ASOS (link)
Shoes: Dorothy Perkins
Bag: ASOS
Scarf: Ebay
Necklace: Coast
Bracelet: Warehouse

I have found a fabulous basic tee from ASOS that is softer than a baby bunny and surprisingly cheap too.  For just £15.00, this 'Forever' T-shirt has short sleeves, a long-line, relaxed fit and is so soft, I have been finding it hard to stop rubbing it against my cheek!


The t-shirt comes in grey, black, blue, moleskin and white.  Being comprised of 100% viscose they wash well and are easy to take of too. I will certainly be picking up more colours because these types of t-shirts provide the perfect foundation to build an outfit.

I picked up one last item from the Warehouse sale and I have to say that I am in love with it.  It's a pewter-coloured leather cuff with gold hardware and I have worn it every day since I got it.


It seems to toughen up more feminine outfits and feels very well made with the gold hardware being sewn into the leather cuff.  It was originally £20 and reduced down to just £5.  You gotta love a bargain!


I had been looking for a work-appropriate dress too and after trying on various styles, I actually ended up picking one that, initially, didn't appeal to me at all.  You know those days when everything you try on just doesn't look right? I was almost at the end of my tether when my mum grabbed this dress and urged me to try it on.


As soon as I zipped up the dress, it just felt right.  It nips in at the smallest part of my waist, it minimises my large chest, the cap sleeves make the most of my arms and the length is perfection (nestling just above the knee).  The only caveat? Being cotton, it creases quite a lot in the skirt but hey, ho...you can't have it all!

Right folks, on to some decor items I have picked up for the new house!  It's only 3 weeks and 4 days until we move in...not that I'm counting or anything (ahem!).  My house may look like it's sponsored by Laura Ashley because I'm in love with their stuff at the moment!

I picked up these delightfully colourful cushions for the upstairs sitting room from Dobbies because they pick out key colours in the Laura Ashley wallpaper (also shown in the pic).  I plan on painting the room white and having a feature wall with the wallpaper.


I also love these gorgeous Laura Ashley cushions that I bought with delicate lilac flowers and beading.


I also picked up this sweet long cushion in a soft putty shade.  I like to mix stripes with patterns and add in neutral shades too.  I feel like if you make sure you use key colours from the wallpaper then it brings everything together nicely without being too matchy-matchy.


This is the wallpaper I have chosen for the downstairs livingroom/diningroom.  I wanted to keep things light and bright because it's an old converted mill so the ceilings are slightly lower and the window are on the smaller side.  I think this soft duck blue paper will look lovely against the oak flooring.  I also love the concept of bringing the outdoors in with the chinese-style bird and floral pattern.  The wallpaper has a beautiful metallic sheen which will look incredible when the room is lit up at night.


This next wallpaper is for the bedroom which I plan on decorating with duck egg blue bedding and then adding some stronger accents of colour to keep it from looking too pale.


I have kept the bathroom wallpaper below similar to give a feeling of cohesiveness so the house 'flows'.  As you will see, all the wallpapers have a nature theme.


I was so thrilled to see this pure silk Laura Ashley material in the sale.  I bought 12 metres of it with a view to making curtains out of it.  My mum has always made curtains for her house so I am finally going to learn how to do it!  These curtains will hang by the front door in our hallway.


I also picked up this cute little floral candle too because we all know you can never have too many scented candles! This may be the kind that I never burn though (hubby doesn't get the term 'decorative').


My big piece of news for today is that we are getting a dog!

This is Declan, he is 18 months old and he is a rescue dog who needed a home...


We were initially looking at puppies but after realising how many older dogs were waiting to find homes, we felt like it was our duty to look for one.  After all, I don't think we would ever have this much time to invest in a rescue dog, given the fact we don't have children.  We found Declan through a local dog charity and his situation was that one of his owners developed Parkinsons and his wife became the main carer.  Therefore they just didn't have time for him any more.

We have gone through all the checks now and got the call to say that we have been accepted as suitable owners for him.  So we will be travelling an hour and a half to go and meet him for the first time on Saturday at the kennels.  We are supposed to be taking him when we move into our new house but we have both said that once we see him, neither of us are sure if we will be able to wait that long!  Apparently he is a bit sad and down at the kennels, it's no wonder he's scared and confused about what's happening.

I will update you guys when we have met him!

20 comments:

  1. Aw Declan is so sweet. Hope he settles ok, poor thing must be so nervous and confused.

    Love your wallpaper choices. Your house is going to be beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks like such a sweetheart doesn't he! Can't wait to see him on Saturday! Dogs just make a home brilliant :)

      Delete
  2. It is very admirable that you are adopting an older dog instead of a puppy. It will make for a harder adjustment but I'm sure he will love your new home and yard and become happy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just thought it was the right thing to do...it's awful that so many dogs end up in kennels with no proper home. I would take them all home if I could!

      Delete
  3. Hi I just found your blog. it great to read a Scottish blog. hello from Sunny Glasgow x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding new blogs too...especially Scottish ones!

      Delete
  4. All of your decor items looks gorgeous, I can't wait to see the end result! Your house is just STUNNING!!!! That cuff is also beautiful and I'm tempted to buy the tshurt from Asos :) It's so dangerous being at home, everything is a click away..... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muhsine! I always get inspiration from your decor posts...love your style :) I can't wait to get into that house and transform it...I love interior design. The cuff is gorgeous and the t-shirt is SUPER soft!

      Delete
  5. Daclan is lovely :) We want a dog so much, a golden retriever.
    I love the silk material

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Golden Retrievers too...my mum and dad have two and they are little cuties!

      Delete
  6. I love those Dorothy Perkins shoes, such a great heel height!
    More importantly, I want to send you a cyber hug, (or whatever they are called) for choosing to share your home with a rescue dog, especially an older one. It always breaks my heart to think about the amount of dogs needing homes, we are huge animal lovers in our house. massive well done and congrats, Declan is a beautiful, handsome boy!
    xxxxxxx

    http://a30something.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kerry. We are massive animal fans and our dream is to have a couple of dogs, a couple of cats, some chickens and ducks and possibly more! ha ha. I hate thinking of all the dogs who get left by the wayside because everyone wants cute little puppies. I know we can offer Declan a happy, secure home with lots of land to play on. So excited!

      Delete
  7. Love that cuff, although I bet you knew I would!! haha! gorgeous and the home bits are lovely esp the putty coloured cushion! Declan looks lovely, so nice you are taking in an older dog most ppl just look for the puppies but they all need homes :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would love that cuff! ha ha. I'm counting down the days until we meet Declan...poor boy is in kennels at the mo

      Delete
  8. Hi would you mind if I asked what size T-shirt you wear? I am about the same size as you and would like to order one but don't want it too tight or too big! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, no problem at all. I ordered a size 12 in that t-shirt :) xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for your reply, I'm going to get the Moleskin and the white one!! This looks like it could be 'the' perfect t-shirt :) Good luck with Declan he looks like my old dog Amber, they are such a beautiful breed xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    Very nice outfit. Where can I find this dress? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, love that wallpaper, the bronze coloured one. Was it Laura Ashley? and do you know if they still make it?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)