Thursday, 1 March 2012

A Guide To Hyper Real Skin

As soon as I saw the images from the Louis Vuitton Spring/Summer 2012 at London Fashion Week, it was love at first sight.  The whole look, which was created by Pat McGrath, just encapsulates what Spring make up is all about: youthful radiance, a sense of freshness, a natural polish.  This is perfection for daytime sophistication and given my slight  overwhelming fixation on highlighters, it's right up my street.


The highlights were concentrated on the heights of the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, inner corners of the eyes and the cupid's bow (area between the nose and mouth).  By highlighting these areas, you can create the illusion of higher cheekbones, a slimmer/more refined nose and more voluptuous lips.  Because the colour palette of this look is very neutral, it calls for heavy emphasis on lashes but if you could alternatively apply a reasonably thick line of black liquid liner to create a similar effect.


I am a big believer in getting your base right.  If the base is good then the rest of your make up will just fall into place.  I just wanted to do a quick overview of the LV look and offer up some tips on how to achieve that ethereal glow.  

Note: I often get asked this, so no, my pics are never photoshopped. I took these photos with my Canon 550D (av mode).


Despite what you may have been told, you can create this look using any coverage of foundation.  I personally prefer medium to full coverage foundations so I have adapted my routine to create a base that is more glowy.  There's no point in using low coverage foundation if you don't feel confident with it.  Do what works for you and develop the best method using that. 


I used Estee Lauder Double Wear in these pics (a mix of Fresco and Shell Beige) and I ALWAYS apply it with my fingers.  I find it goes on far too heavy when applied with a foundation brush.  The secret is to use as little of the foundation as possible.  It's key to make sure your skin is well moisturised to ensure the foundation goes on smoothly and evenly.  A lot of people are surprised when I say I am wearing Estee Lauder DW because it doesn't look heavy on my skin.  My tips?

ALWAYS apply with fingers
Use as little as possible
Blend, blend, blend
Use a setting spray

Note: Next pic was taken with flash.


I thought it might be useful to go over the products I use when I want my skin to really glow and look radiant.

Skincare is vitally important for this look and these are my fail-safe little accomplices to achieve ultra hydrated, luminous skin.



The Clarins eye mask is the best I have ever encountered to counteract puffy eyes and I use it as more of an eye cream.  The Clarins skin tonic is really effective at brightening your skin tone and just making your skin glow through your make up.  Estee Lauder DayWear is a fantastic moisturiser to thoroughly hydrate your skin whilst still providing a good base for foundation.



This look requires a radiance boosting pearlescent skin Illuminator and this No7 one is one of the best (if not, THE best) affordable ones on the market.  This one has a peach hue with reflective particles that glow through foundation to create dewy skin.  Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector is also amazing but of course, a lot more expensive!  I just apply a small amount of the No7 Skin Illuminator after moisturiser and before foundation.  Ensure you blend it in well.

This Estee Lauder camouflage make up is my go-to concealer that I use every day.  This stuff covers EVERYTHING from surgical scars to massive spots to skin discolouration.  It's a hero product for me and I could never do without it.  It's definitely a major player in creating a completely flawless base for this look.  Remember to use a tiny amount and build it in VERY thin layers to conceal.  It works best with a fluffy but firm brush (my favourite is the Jemma Kidd eye blending brush). 



The ethereal look demands amazing highlighters and to get the maximum effect, it's a good idea to layer powder highlighters over liquid formulations.  This gives the desired look whilst ensuring it stays put.

Benefit High Beam is one of my all-time favourite liquid highlighters because it can be very subtle or layered for a more intense finish.  You only need a small amount and it lasts for ages.  Dior Amber Diamond Shimmer Powder is a tried and tested beauty blogger favourite and the peachy tones are ideal for this fresh look.



Another key aspect to this look is to use a setting spray.  The reason behind this is to take away that powdery look that can develop after all your make up has been applied.  I use two different sprays as shown above.  Dew Me is great for daytime when you want that dewy look to your skin and De Slick is great for nights out/occasions when you want radiant skin that stays softly matte.  My make up always lasts longer when I use either of these sprays.  I always apply them before eye liner and mascara to avoid smudging it.

I hope this was of some help if you are interested in how I do my make up or just love the LV makeup look.  Let me know if there are any other guides you would like me to do?

16 comments:

  1. your skin looks flawless! great post and i love benefits high beam as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andee! High Beam is just perfect for perking up your skin :)
      Hope all is well with you xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow your skin looks amazing! There are a few products you've intoduced me to here, in particular the No7 Skin Illuminator. I will definitely be getting it when they next dish out the No7 £5 off vouchers. Helpful post :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parveen :)
      Glad to have introduced you to a few new products...that's what I love about blogging!
      Great that you can get discount with the vouchers they always hand out at Boots! Let me know how you get on with it xxx

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant, thank you! Iv just converted to the Estee Lauder double wear, so still trying to find my way with it. I love the tip of using this with fingers, as I prefer to do this but always feel a bit naughty haha
    I love high beam too! Im off to get the EL maximum coverage now, sounds great
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Kerry...you'll love Double Wear...it just takes some getting used to but once you have mastered it, nothing stays on quite like it! Maximum Cover is my saviour...I don't know what I would do without it to be honest! x

      Delete
  4. Very helpful. How often do you fake tan? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could be of help Mar. I use gradual fake tan and apply it every 3 nights. Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you, such a great post I'm definitely going to check out the no.7 highlighter. I love the LV images I've been going for a more dewy look at the mo mixing mac strobe cream with my dr perricone no foundation, foundation. Love your blog, I've been reading it from the beginning but this is the first time I've commented for some reason x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac Strobe cream is another great product for that glowy look! So happy to hear you like my blog and lovely to hear from you as well. Hope to hear more from you :) xxx

      Delete
  6. very helpful, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Kiva. Glad to be of service :) xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the look!! What eyeliner do you use? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I use Lancome Artliner but Loreal Superliner is a great budget alternative :)

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful, your skin looks great and I love the photography! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the inspiration and created soft look :) fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)