Monday, 23 April 2012

Goodbye Wolfey


I never thought I could be so entertained and attached to such a small animal like you and with a name like Wolverine, you were always destined to be a legend with your go-faster strips and cute little face.  You were the sweetest, most gentle little hamster who never bit anyone or showed any kind of aggression, even when we woke you up from a deep slumber in your cosy bed.  


You showed your mischievous side by hatching plans to escape from your cage and had adventures inside the wall of the living room where you spent a couple of nights hiding from us!  Your persistence to get out of your cage was legendary and you often entertained our friends with your acrobatic tricks like climbing upside down in your cage like Spiderman!  You were spoilt with all the fresh fruit, veg, nuts and your very favourite...pasta!


Even when you passed the age of two, you were still running and jumping around your cage like a young thing.  When you got thinner and your coat went patchy, you weren't quite as cute to other people but we always loved you regardless.


When you started having funny turns about a week ago at the age of 2 and a half, I knew it was the beginning of the end.  You battled through two near-death experiences when your breathing slowed  and you couldn't move.  You gave me a scare and I couldn't believe it when you were back to running around your cage only hours later.


But yesterday morning at 8am when we found you in your cage hardly moving and too weak to lift your head, we knew this was it.  So we took you through to the bedroom and wrapped you in a blanket and stayed with you until the end.  Your breathing slowed, as did your heart and you were struggling to hold on, squeaking with every exhaled breath.  We stroked you gently as our hearts broke watching you helpless, slip away.


To some people you may have been just a hamster but after two and a half years of watching your daily antics, your personality and all the things you got up to, we can't help but miss you terribly.


You were the sweetest and most lovely little soul and we hope you like the little spot we picked out for you in our garden.  There's a lovely plant there that will bloom every year and remind us of you.

Bye little Wolfey xxx


40 comments:

  1. My heart :(( RIP Wolverine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected to be this down about my hamster dying but it's just upset me so much :(

      Delete
  2. Oh, he's sooo cute! What a poser! So sad he passed away. My hamster is 1 1/2 year now and she's always sleeping now. I'm afraid she won't make it to two years. I'm not as attached to her though because she won't allow anyone to pet her or pick her up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the cutest little dude and everyone loved him!

      Delete
  3. OMG he's so cute!!! Very beautiful hamster! RIP ;(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. As i read you have me in tears.. couldnt finish reading the rest. I have a dog and everytime i read these devastating stories it breaks my heart. It reminds me that one day it will time to let my baby go. I am sorry for your lost. No one will ever what the love and attachment oen can have towards animals until you have your very own. May god have your baby in his arms. XOXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right that no one knows the attachment you have to your pets except you because you watch them daily, all the little habits they have and funny things they do.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry :-( He was gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind message Alexis :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry. RIP Wolverine.

    Reading your story reminded me of when my previous cat died, so I do understand how you feel.

    He was gorgeous =)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nazia, it's always tough losing a pet. I think it's the fact that he was our first pet as a couple as well

      Delete
  7. Aww this is heartbreaking! Goodbye Wolverine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't bring myself to watch any videos of him yet coz I just start getting upset. He was such a sweetheart x

      Delete
  8. oh bless, RIP Wolverine. Its always horrible when you lose a loved one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to write a message x

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry for your little baby, it's heartbreaking let them go . I'm not religious, but i know for sure that one day we will see again all our beloved animals, I know that. I read your blog but hardly ever comment, though I want to give you a huge hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I appreciate your kind words :) xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. He'll be having fun in the big hamster ball in the sky :)

      Delete
  11. This post broke my heart - having gone through the same thing last summer I know how your feeling, but its ok, the world may be crumbling right now but one day it will be better and he was obviously a very loved hammy.

    Chin up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I know I will feel ok in time. I'm just such an animal lover and get so attached to my pets, it breaks my heart to let them go. it would never stop me from having pets though...they bring so much happiness :)

      Delete
  12. My heart just broke for you. A pet becomes family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was definitely part of our family :)

      Delete
  13. touching post, you have me over here in tears :( very well written ode to your wolfey...what a cutie, so sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be making everyone cry.lol. Just glad we had such a fantastic pet :)

      Delete
  14. Laura, I am in tears in my office reading this. What a wonderful pet he was, and what wonderful owners youand Chris were. You gave him such a happy little life x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I don't think he could have had a better life or a better death. At least he lived for a long time, was healthy up until the end and wasn't alone when he died x

      Delete
  15. I know this is probably the first time I've commented here but my heart goes out to you. It's always sad losing a pet because they are such a wonderful part of the family and bring such joy when they're around. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he just made us smile so much and despite being a little hamster, he had such a big personality x

      Delete
  16. Long time reader, first time commenter. I've had and adored a few hamsters in my lifetime. Many people don't understand how much personality they have, how affectionate they can be and how attached you can get to them. They're awesome little critters.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to stop getting hamsters as their short lifespan left me heartbroken too much. I have bunnies now, and one of them died suddenly at a young age last month, so I feel your pain. I hope you're feeling ok, and are consoled by the fact that you gave Wolfey a long, happy life. He's at the rainbow bridge now with my Pixie bunny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm crying right now as I'm reading this post.I feel you and I'm so sorry:( RIP little angel:(

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a loving tribute. I can honestly say it brought me to tears, but also made me smile. RIP Wolverine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was the sweetest and saddest thing I've ever read. Saying goodbye to a beloved pet is so hard. You and your husband are lovely pet owners! Hold your head up high. RIP Wolfey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw Poor little guy- lovely pictures though. Lots of treasured memories :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh honey, i feel your pain and the way he went was so beautiful, you have me tearing up over here! who would think we could grow so attached to something that can't even talk to us. beautiful post chica. he will always hold a special part in your heart and life. i hope you find a new companion soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I opened you blog today, after several months of neglecting blogger.com, and i see this post..and I can't help but crying, because my little hamster Arny had suddenly fallen ill and also died two days ago..oh it's so devastating. I'm so sorry for your loss..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can relate to this so much from when my pet hamster Britney died. Hope you're doing ok x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful post. It made me cry because it reminded me of my doggy who died in August :-( xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)