Thursday, 20 September 2012

Review of Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

I always like to have two types of foundation in my make up drawer, each serving a different purpose:
  • A medium to full coverage foundation for super-duper long wear and completely flawless skin (especially for nights out and special occasions). My choice in this category being Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup
  • An economical light-medium coverage/brightening foundation for lazy days when you don't necessarily want so much coverage on your skin.


I picked up this foundation whilst in ASDA, admittedly completely on a whim and in the hope of finding a cheap and cheerful foundation for those said lazy days.  I was looking for a base that would be brightening, easy to work with and would make my skin look like, well...skin!

"Introducing new Wake Me Up Foundation from Rimmel London. Rimmel’s first liquid foundation that instantly reawakens skin with a healthy, radiant glow.  It’s time to wake up – the light, smooth texture glides on easily to give a 100% pore-less and flawless complexion. Spoil yourself with SPF 15 sun protection and illuminating radiance pearls for a natural glow. A peptide formulation helps increase your skin’s elasticity and a vitamin moisturizing complex also leaves you looking healthy and fresh. Your skin will bounce back to life – even if your body is thinking otherwise.  No longer do you have to face fatigue in the mirror.  Immediately eliminates visible signs of tiredness so skin looks rejuvenated. Also minimising signs of premature ageing.  Wake Me Up works just as hard as you – staying put for up to 10 hours and giving you a natural, medium to full coverage. So even if you’ve had a few hours sleep, you can look radiant and younger.  Let last night’s late bedtime be a secret. Discover beauty sleep in a bottle, from Rimmel London".



In my opinion, this foundation doesn't give medium to full coverage.  I would say it's more like medium as it hasn't got as much coverage as something like EL Double Wear.  The coverage, consistency and brightening effect do remind me a lot of Dior Nude foundation though.  Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation has a thick, almost mousse-like consistency to it which makes it very easy to work with.  Although it has a brightening effect, there aren't those annoying shimmery particles in it that you see with some other radiance inducing foundations.  I have seen some other reviews where people complain of a shimmery effect but even if you see that in the product when it's in the bottle, it certainly doesn't look like that on my skin.  I inspected my skin in clear daylight and couldn't detect any shimmer.


The packaging is a nice, sturdy glass bottle with a plastic pump dispenser...thumbs up to Rimmel for this as we all know it's the best and cleanest way to dispense a liquid product such as foundation.  It allows you to control the amount of product that comes out without it spilling everywhere.  I wish Estee Lauder would start equipping Double Wear with such dispensers!  I use Classic Beige which is a pretty good match for my skin, although I was disappointed to see the foundation only comes in seven shades.  This may make it difficult to find a perfect match for your skin.


Once applied this foundation makes my skin feel really soft and smooth which must be the 'vitamin moisturizing complex' kicking in I assume!  It evens out my skin tone nicely and covers minimal blemishes, but you will still require concealer.  It definitely leaves my skin looking dewy, but not in a greasy or oily way - my pet peeve with some other brightening foundations.  It gives a very natural finish to the skin...so much so that you could trick people into believing you're not wearing any foundation at all! It doesn't seem to cling to dry areas of skin and certainly hasn't disrupted my skin as a whole in any way i.e. it hasn't broken me out in spots.


As for lasting power, well, I wasn't expecting it to last as long as my EL Double Wear and I was right in that respect.  It lasts a good 8 hours without fading but after that I found that my skin didn't look quite as even.  It still looked good, but not flawless.  I really didn't expect much more than that for a foundation that only costs £5.99!


So the overall conclusion is that this Rimmel foundation is good value for money.  It's a handy wee product to have on standby for those weekends when you want a really natural, radiant finish without sacrificing on coverage.  My advice? If you are looking for a cheap, easily accessible foundation with reasonable lasting power and a natural skin finish then pick up this foundation.  

Have you tried this product? What were your thoughts?

19 comments:

  1. does it have a warm or cool tone ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...forgot to mention that in the post. This particular shade has a warm yellow undertone. Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  2. mac pumps fit estee lauder doublewear bottles. i order them from debenhams site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh thanks! I must look into that :D

      Delete
  3. I can't wear Double Wear at all because I have dry skin and it just looks horrific on my skin, so I might have to check this out if it's a wee bit lighter than that kind of coverage!

    dp
    x

    www.inanityandthegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lighter texture and coverage than Double Wear and also more moisturising too. Hope you find something that works for you :)

      Delete
  4. I use a mac pump to my EL double wear! Very easy and it cost only 5 euros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly...I'm going to go and check out the Mac pump :)

      Delete
  5. I have bought in the past rimmel foundations and I didnt like them...for cheaper foundation i like bourjois flower perfection, revlon colorstay, revlon photoready (mixed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked any Rimmel foundations in the past either. I used to use Revlon Colorstay and Photoready actually. Photoready was too shimmery for me. I think my HG foundation will always be Double Wear though x

      Delete
  6. I can really recommend the EL Double Wear light for summer or lazy days!! I also love the normal Double Wear for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have that already but I was looking for a more budget foundation in that category. Double Wear Light is great too :)

      Delete
  7. Such a helpful review, especially as I thought this might not suit oily skin tones so well.

    I thought it might give the whole 'flashback/white cast' face as well as it has spf but your pics look great! Great review :)

    http://theellenextdoor.blogspot.com

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always handy to see how a foundation photographs. I didn't use a flash in my pics though...I think a lot of people get that white cast when they use a strong flash on their camera too. x

      Delete
  8. I've just ordered this foundation and I'm excited to try it out, hopefully it won't be too dark as I am on the pale side :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you manage to get a good shade match :)

      Delete
  9. Great Blog I use Revlon Colourstay at the moment but it's finished and came across your blog looking for a review on Rimmel Wake me up. Great blog.

    http://ukmakeupandbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. What MAC shade are you? I'm NC30 and i wondered which would suit me thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was looking for an honest good review, and this was it!! thank you so much! i have been using bb creams, but they dont seem to be giving me very good coverage, and make me look pale. does this need to be used with a powder?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)