Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Grown Up Red

Let's get one thing straight - this lipstick does not mess around.  This is a grown up red lipstick for proper grown up women.  I'm not entirely sure I qualify as being a grown up but let's pretend I am just for this one post!  Let me introduce to you the Burberry Lip Velvet in Military Red...


"Burberry innovation brings a new finish for lips: a velvety matte radiance, inspired by the most opulent of English fabrics.  Iconic pigments give incredibly dense, luminous colour; gel technology gives weightless, imperceptible feel and comfortable long wear performance, while triglycerides and wild rose continuously hydrate.  The result is effortlessly breathable, protective and elegant.  Apply like a normal lipstick or apply to the fingers and press into the lips for a more effortless, natural colour".


This lipstick initially conjured up one word for me - scary! The intense, rich red shade scared the bejesus out of me when I first laid eyes on it.  A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even dreamt of wearing a colour as ostentatious as this.  It's vibrant, it's in your face and it MUST be worn with confidence.  It's best teamed with more relaxed hair and toned down eye  make up (no false lashes here) because this particular lipstick likes to be the star of the show.


The packaging is simple, functional and classy with just a hint of the iconic Burberry check.  The lipstick itself  is also embossed with the same check pattern.  You can see from the swatch below that the pigmentation is very impressive and you begin to understand what they meant when they described the formula as "dense luminous colour".  Although the lipstick is matte, it doesn't look completely flat on the lips.  Some matte formulas can end up looking chalky, highlighting dry areas.  Not so in this case. 


This lipstick glides on with ease, feels hydrating and comfortable to wear and the colour completely lasts until you wipe it off at the end of the day.  It's not the kind of shade you would chuck on your lips to go to Tesco for the weekly shop as you might feel a tad conspicuous! However, if worn in the correct way, it can add an understated glamour and elegance to your look.  I feel it's best to keep the rest of your outfit relatively simple with this lipstick because anything too fussy will make you appear too 'done'.


The colour is cool toned and can drain the colour from your face so I just applied a mixture of two foundation shades a touch warmer than my usual one.  A little bit of bronzer is a good addition too just to stop your skin looking too pasty.  Don't overdo the bronzer though as it can cheapen the look.  I adore the look of red lips on pale porcelain skin but unfortunately I have rosy cheeks which can be somewhat magnified by this intensely red lip shade.  So my best option is to have a little colour in my skin to tone down the high colouration in my cheeks.


After a day's wear...this shade isn't so scary anymore and I think once you master how to wear it in your own way, it can really transform your look.  It's a great seasonal shade for this time of year.  It's like Gwyneth Paltrow said "Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick".

Well this, my friends, is kick-ass.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I never thought such a deep red would suit me but I've grown to really like it :)

      Delete
  2. Your skin looks ahmaaazing!!! That lippy is a beauty in itself.

    http://diariesofabrunette.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously lovely on you! Also loving that FCUK jumper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura :)

      The jumper is definitely worth a look...I haven't stopped wearing it since I got it. It would suit you x

      Delete
  4. Wow! I need this shade of red, it looks beautiful on you :) I've been meaning to check out Burberry lipsticks, this will be my first swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out Parveen, it's so pigmented...gorgeous! :)

      Delete
  5. Errrrrr omg omg omg i need this in my red wardrobe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - you need this in your life Tali. It would look great on you! x

      Delete
  6. I adore burbery lipsticks! Think I might need to start adding to my collection soon!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That red really suits you. I want to try the Burberry eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Burberry Lipsticks! I've invested in antique rose also...as for the eyeshadows porcelain and midnight brown are exquisite. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)