Sunday, 21 October 2012

My New Hair

For the past couple of weeks, I had been toying with the idea of having my fringe cut back in again. This is how it looked when I first had it cut back in October last year...


I had pretty much let it grow out into a longer fringe since then because a longer fringe requires less maintenance so in other words, I got lazy! I liked how it completely changed my face but it did have it's disadvantages:

1) It had to be trimmed every couple of weeks
2) At that length it never looks right when I curled my hair  - it just didn't blend properly and ended up looking separate from the rest of the style (if that makes any sense?)
3) I had to use straighteners on it every morning to get it to sit right which ultimately sin't good for the health of your hair

Those were the things that were ultimately preventing me from getting a fringe again.  However, after seeing a couple of hair inspiration pictures recently, I decided the Brigitte Bardot fringe look may well work in my favour with regards to practicality.


I have also seen Cheryl Cole with a similar hairstyle and it dawned on me that it would solve my fringe dilemma because:

1) The whole hairstyle relies on a more relaxed, bed-head look so styling would be minimal
2) You wouldn't have to trim the fringe much as it still looks good when it has grown out slightly
3) You can still curl/wave your hair without the fringe looking strange
4) Even when your hair is in a ponytail, this fringe softly flatters your face


So I took the plunge and on Friday afternoon, I got my hair highlighted and cut by my hairdresser of 6 years, Leigh.  I basically took in the two pictures above and asked for a Bardot-style fringe that graduated into the lengths of my hair.  I kept all my other layers long.  Here's how it turned out...


I ALWAYS wear my hair in a side-parting and have done ever since I was about 15 so switching to a centre parting felt very strange indeed.  My hair may need some training to sit like that effortlessly but already I am enjoying the benefits of not having to faff over my hair so much.


I don't have to use the straighteners on my fringe now at all as blowdrying with a large round brush does the job nicely.  The bed-head look has taken me a while to get used to as being a perfectionist, it kind of goes against my religion to have bits of hair out of place.  But the beauty of this look is that it's supposed to be a bit messy, dishevelled and casual.  If you are obsessed with having every hair in place then this hairstyle is most definitely not for you!


I love how just changing your parting and fringe can transform your face and overall look.  It's nice to have a change and this hairstyle is so flexible.  You can change back to a side parted fringe, wear it straight, curly or  with soft waves.  It looks good worn with a back-combed ponytail or in a messy bun.

Overall, I'm just happy to have a slight image change.

23 comments:

  1. Love it! Now i feel like I want to cut mine back in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I was in two minds about doing it but glad I did now...it's nice to refresh your hair every now and again x

      Delete
  2. The fringe looks great on you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cute! I like the idea of a fringe but Im not sure it will suit my face shape. Maybe one day ill be brave xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many choices with fringes...I'm sure there would be something to suit you x

      Delete
  4. i love it!

    livedwithlove.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! They're modern-looking, and you're probably on the cusp of a major trend with them. You're very brave to switch it up-- I've had the same side-swept bangs for about 12 years, and while they don't look dated (I think), it might be time for a change. I just can't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit worried about how it would look or if it would suit me but sometimes you just have to take a chance :)

      Delete
  6. Ah it's lovely, my hair is very similar to this style just now but need to go back for a wee trim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love the look of your hair :)

      Delete
  7. It was great that you took the chance. The style emphasizes the beautiful frame of your face. I really love this style of hair, as it is easily manageable. You can allow your hair to just air-dry, or you can blow-dry it whenever you feel you want to do more. If you want to put more volume to your fringe, just aim your blow-dryer up and away from your face while you comb to give it some height before letting them fall softly in place beside your cheeks. ; )

    Tara Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love this style of hair! This style is so laid back and is definitely appropriate when you need to rush to work or to the mall. It was good that you took the pictures to be shown to your hair dresser, since miscommunication about hair trimming can have a very big impact. It would be hard to go home not having the style you wanted.

    Stela Dimitrov

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I love how just changing your parting and fringe can transform your face and overall look.”--- Indeed, and by doing so, your level of confidence somewhat improves too, right? Look at your poses. I could really feel that you’re happy with your current hairstyle. You should keep that confidence within you! :))

    Reda Pinard

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)