Wednesday, 10 October 2012

OldMill Decor: Part 1

Loads of people have asked me to do decor posts showing the transformation of our house, which we moved into on 23rd March this year.  If you haven't seen my previous posts, it's called the Oldmill as it used to be a water powered grain mill dating back to the early 1800's.  The surroundings are gorgeous and I thank my lucky stars every day when I wake up to the stunning views of the river.  The house itself has an upside down feel because the kitchen is downstairs as is our main livingroom.


It's not an easy task to try and decorate a house whilst running a business and all the other every day tasks we all have.  It has taken a long time to get the majority of the work done on the house and there's still a lot to do.  Today's post will be the first of many decor posts and will concentrate on our upstairs small sitting-room.  So let's get started...

BEFORE


AFTER


Because this room enjoys alot of natural light, I wanted it to have a nature-inspired feel with light woods, splashes of colour and a more modern mixture of patterns in the textiles.  I wanted to leave 3 of the walls plain to maximise the light, airy feeling of the room.  I added the lilac silk curtains to add a slightly luxe feel to the room and frame the lovely view over the river.  We are going to replace the door to the balcony with a reclaimed oak one which will be expensive but I feel like it will really finish off the room. 

BEFORE


AFTER


The dark wood doors felt like they darkened the whole room so I painstakingly painted them bright white, leaving the frame as it was.  I like the contrast of the white and the dark wood because it looks fresh without taking away the earthy cottage look.  I still have as few additions to add to the room such as some lovely white shabby chic photo frames for the wall space to the left of the doors.

BEFORE


AFTER


I kept the base colour palette of the room neutral in creams and beiges, whilst adding a bit of colour with the cushions.  This will make it easier to change the colour palette of the room should I ever decide that I want a change in the future.  By updating the feature wall and cushions, you could transform the room again.  I love feature walls because they add that bit of interest to the room without the pattern becoming overwhelming.  I opted for a vibrant green blind to reflect the lush greenery that's outside the window. It's like bringing the outside inside! Instead of curtains which mask the deep window sills, I opted for the blinds to maximise the space and light.

BEFORE


AFTER


We simply updated the fireplace by painting the redbricks in a bright white shade, whilst sourcing some reclaimed oak beams online to place on top.  We still have to tile the hearth with reclaimed slate to fit in with the rustic style of the fireplace.  It's only being used for decoration purposes at the moment as the room tends to stay quite warm from the wood-burning stove downstairs.

BEFORE


AFTER


THE DETAILS

Here's a few pictures of the smaller details in the room...


You'll notice there are a lot birds in the room which also tie into the nature theme of the decor.  These white birds light up at the flick of a switch and look so lovely at night time!


Even the floral curtain tie backs tie in with the theme of the room...


My little owl tea light holder sits proudly next to a big picture of our little (or not so little) baby, Decky.







These wooden boxes were actually from our previous apartment and they were originally dark wood.  Instead of chucking them away, I decided to paint them white and make a little feature for the wallpapered wall.


I picked up these unique bamboo lights from an online decor site and they look so pretty all lit up at night time.





I hope I have created a warm, inviting and comfortable space for this room and it's where I meet all my clients for consultations so it has a nice peaceful feel to it.  I think the next decor post will feature either my bedroom or my bathroom!

I hope you guys enjoyed my first proper decor post and if there's anything you see here that you like, feel free to drop me an email and I will do my best to provide a link for the item.

26 comments:

  1. you have such a gorgeous house!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      Sometimes I can't believe it's my house!

      Delete
  2. It is absolutely beautiful! I am in awe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks :)
      I feel very lucky to have such a lovely home...it's a dream come true! x

      Delete
  3. Your home is beautiful! You should be an interior designer as well as a wedding planner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually something I am very interested in so maybe it's something I will get into when I'm older! x

      Delete
  4. You have great interior taste! I love how its quite stylish, but very cosy and inviting at the same time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Enia - I didn't want it to look like the kind of room you couldn't relax in, all prim and proper. But I wanted to retain a style so I'm glad you think I have :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Looks so inviting & cosy :) x

    :: LUCYSLUXE ::

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, and I can't wait to see the new pretty door :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we have some exciting things happening in the house but it's going to take some time to source everything. Watch this space! xx

      Delete
  7. Your home is absolutely beautiful. Looks like heaven to relax in x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly...it is a very cosy house perfect for chilling out in. Not a bad place to work from either! ;)
      x

      Delete
  8. Your house is gorgeous! The exterior and landscaping look like something out of a Thomas Kinkade painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      We fell in love with the place as soon as we saw it!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous and it looks so peaceful and cosy. We've just moved into our first apartment and have been busy decorating and making it feel like home so I love to see posts like this for inspiration x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      It's a lot of work decorating as you'll know! I am obsessed with looking at stuff on Pinterest to get inspiration! x

      Delete
  10. Love this. So pretty! You have been working very hard! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful job! I still have a tonne of work to do but you are inspiring me to keep going with it. Bet it feels great cosying up in your gorgeous room xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      It's actually our 'day room' or good room...i.e. it has to look immaculate all the time for my client meetings. Our snuggle in and cosy room is downstairs. That's where the wood burner is so every night is being spent down there at the moment :)
      It's hard to keep the momentum going with all the decorating and sometimes you need a break! x

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)