Saturday, 24 November 2012

Review: Urban Decay Smoked Palette

As we enter the darker winter evenings, I think I naturally gravitate towards slightly darker, smoked up eyes.  The festive season brings many more special occasions and events which generally call for more glamourous make up.  Everyone can wear a smokey eye because it comes in many different guises and in varying intensity.

In my mind, this is where the Urban Decay Smoked palette comes in...


"An Urban Decay take on the always-popular smoky eye, this 10-shadow palette includes not just traditional greys and blacks, but matte neutral shadows AND a range of opulent jewel tones. Each velvety shade features Urban Decay's new shadow formula and proprietary Pigment Infusion System - Richer and smoother colour, more velvety texture and blendability and even longer-lasting results, this new formula is incredible! This palette revolutionizes the smoky eye, introducing exciting hues and looks, whether you commit to all-out night-time smoky or just apply a hint of sultry smudgy colour for daytime". 


This eye shadow palette comes in a zip around pouch and seems to be a sort of smokey addition to the Naked palettes previously released.  I am not so keen on the pouch packaging as those type of satin-esque finishes get mucky VERY quickly. I tend to favour more compact, slim-line packaging like that of the naked palettes.  Well, if it ain't broke...

The shades within the palette are as follows:

Kinky (matte light neutral peach) 
Freestyle (matte medium tan)
Mushroom (warm taupe-grey shimmer)


Backdoor (matte dark brown)
Blackout (matte blackest black)
Asphalt (gunmental grey shimmer)
Loaded (deep emerald metallic)


Barlust (dark golden brown metallic)
 Rockstar (deep purple shimmer)
Evidence (navy blue shimmer)


The palette also contains a 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black) and Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion.  The pencil is intense and heavily pigmented as you would expect from Urban Decay's 24/7 liners.


What I really love is that this palette comes with a comprehensive how-to booklet by the brand's Co-Founder, Wende Zomnir.  This guide can help to inspire even the smoky-eye pros to try something new and teaches amateurs like myself the various looks that can be easily achieved. It encourages you to try out different combinations of the shades and create different shapes around the eye.  I'm always in favour of changing things up...some of my greatest beauty triumphs have been born out of just having a bash at something new!


Obviously, I found myself admiring the Cat Eye look below, no surprise given that a flick of black liner is my daily make up staple these days!  Saying that, I love the thought of working my way through the booklet and trying out all the different looks.  I really want to experiment with the deep purple Rockstar shade!


I definitely detected a change in the eye shadow formula and it's undoubtedly for the better! Even the matte shades are creamy, very well pigmented and smooth to apply.  Generally matte shades struggle to pack the same colour punch as metallic eye shadows but in this case they have really raised the bar with regards to the matte options in this palette.  Bravo Urban Decay!


What with all the events around this time of year, I can definitely see this palette becoming the go-to tool for transforming day make up into night time make up. None of the metallic shades have any fall out whatsoever and for me, that's very important.  Eye shadow is for your eyes, NOT your cheeks!


This palette would make an amazing Christmas present for anyone who loves a bit of smokefication (yes, I just completely made that word up).  At £35, it's not the cheapest of palettes but once you have swatched these shades, you will quickly see that you have to pay for quality.  When you know you will use something consistently, it's definitely worth paying extra for a product you can really rely on. This palette dares you to try something a bit more interesting than the usual grey/neutral toned smokey eye and for that reason, I think it rocks!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I've been lusting after this for so long now. Just aren't sure ill get enough use out of it, but who am I kidding, that's never stopped me before. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUST!! Beautiful colors!!!
    I love the pigmentation!

    ♥,
    Shari
    The Misty Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ordered this on beauty bay on black friday, cost me only 30 euros and it's 44 on my local sephora. i'm soooo excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely - nice to see they've gone for a few different colours this time - I think the booklet is a great touch too.

    Samantha xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)