Tuesday, 15 January 2013

A Mish-Mash Post

I'm definitely not immune to a buzz product - that is to say a product that has been kicking up a fuss in the beauty blogging community.  The latest blemish-busting wonder cream that has been getting everyone a bit excited is La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo, a dual action anti-imperfection moisturiser.

'Pores are unclogged and purified to help reduce the development of future breakouts. Helps to reduce skin imperfections leaving skin looking clearer and feeling smoother. Daily care to treat both imperfections on the skin's surface and help prevent blocked pores. Contains Niacinimide, Piroctone Olamine and LHA. 
La Roche-Posay follows strict formulations standards:
- 100% hypoallergenic skincare
- Non-comedogenic
- High concentration of selected active ingredients with soothing Thermal Spring Water
- Minimal ingredients and fragrance
- Tested on the most sensitive skin
- Packaging minimises all forms of micro-bacterial contamination'.


This moisturiser/treatment has a lightweight gel consistency with a non-sticky texture. It glides onto the skin without even a trace of residue.

I was all up for the hype surrounding this wonder cream and couldn't wait to unleash it on my recently temperamental skin.  My skin is generally pretty good but I sometimes suffer from a few spots around my mouth and chin area.  Although my skin is only really troublesome in this area, I applied the cream all over my face.

This was a big mistake.  Before I purchased the product, I didn't read the description as thoroughly as I should have, relying mostly on reviews I had read.  This moisturiser is designed specifically for oily skin.  I have sensitive skin that can be dry around the nose area.  Although the moisturiser dramatically cleared the blemishes around my mouth, it also really dried out my skin around my nose leading to flaking.  An attractive mental image I'm sure you'll agree.

I did develop a little routine of only applying the treatment where required and then using a more emollient moisturiser on the drier areas of my face.  It worked out well but it's really something to bear in mind if you also have a drier skin type.  All in all, I was impressed by how the treatment performed, with my spots being dramatically reduced in redness and size overnight.  It's a great instant fix if you need to get rid of your blemishes quickly - and lets face it, who doesn't?  But for drier skin, it's best to concentrate only on the areas where needed.

You can also read a great balanced review of the product here from someone with an oily skin type.  I bought the moisturiser from this site.


After a recommendation from a friend of mine, I bought the Elnette Heat Spray - Volume in my weekly shop from Tesco.  I am already a big fan of their hairspray so I figured their styling spray would probably follow suit.

'NEW Elnett Heat Protect Styling Sprays; specially adapted to your styling routine they protect against heat damage caused by hairdryers, straighteners and curling irons. With protection from frizz and humidity they help smooth straight hair and give definition to soft curls.  For an extra volume boost try Elnett Heat Protect Styling Spray Volume, enriched with Heat Protect Technology, it helps voluminous styles last for up to 3 days'.

I have been using this styling spray for over a week now and I have to say it's one of the best I have ever tried.  At £5.99 for 170ml, it's pretty great value considering you only need around three sprays per application.  I like to spray it into my hands and work it into the roots of my hair.  This way you can control how much product you use. The spray applicator isn't a fine mist so it can concentrate too much product in one area.  That is my only criticism of this hair product.  It gave my hair fantastic weightless volume that lasted all day and as promised, even into the next day.  That's almost unheard of for me. 

Something I really wanted to share with you is this AMAZING beaded jacket I bought online from Topshop - I can't include a link as the Topshop site is down right now. I'm sure it will feature in an upcoming outfit post.


The embellishments are just to die for, so intricate and you can tell the garment is very well made.  As you would imagine, it's pretty heavy but I like the way it drapes.  I have been lusting after a jacket like this for a long time now so when I spotted it online, I knew I had to have it. It wasn't in the sale and cost £95 but I really believe that it's worth it as an investment piece.  I will wear this jacket to death.




I like the idea of dressing it down with skinny jeans, boots and a plain white boyfriend t-shirt.  However it may also come in handy to add some interest up an otherwise plain dress.  It would look amazing mixed with a contrasting texture like some leather-look leggings and a slouchy white shirt.  Ah the options...

Lastly, I just wanted to show you this cute pic of Decky and Seámus.  The kittens are getting pretty big now and causing havoc in the Murphy household.  They have a habit of playing with absolutely EVERYTHING so you end up finding random objects in the most random of places.  Just yesterday I found a curler in the kitchen.  They have played with it all the way from the bedroom upstairs.  Decky is really good with them but I think him and Seámus have the closest friendship, often opting to snuggle up together on the couch.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review on the effaclar duo! I use the face wash from the range which I love and have been thinking about buying it!
    Also your kittens are soooo adorable! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a great anti-blemish cream. I just need to watch where I apply it since I am prone to dry skin. The kittens are just sooo cute...I can't stop watching them.

      Delete
  2. Seámus looks like my Garfield :) http://instagram.com/p/SsanzmH-Go/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww he's lovely...there's something so cute about ginger cats. they always seem to have a really lovely disposition x

      Delete
  3. Love Duo, works wonders on my oily skin. Love the topshop jacket, true investment piece x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like the jacket. I ummed and erred about it for a while then I bought it on Boxing Day even though it wasn't in the sales.lol. x

      Delete
  4. Awwww the last picture just melted my heart they are so adorable together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do love eachother...despite their differences.lol.

      Delete
  5. Great reviews thank you! That jacket is gorgeous can't wait to see how you style it!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably feature the jacket pretty soon. It's just been too cold to wear it lately x

      Delete
  6. awwww your kittens is so cute. That picture is adorable. ~I really want to try the Elnett spray, I think you have sold it to me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Elnett spray is fantastic and I love the smell of it. It's almost like perfume...but not an overpowering smell x

      Delete
  7. Hi. I just saw your comment in Lauren's forum. So I thought I'd check your blog out and I actually really like it! Maybe you'd like to check mine out as well :) it's http://vickynspiration.blogspot.com . We bloggers have to stick together!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky, thanks so much for stopping by. I'm so glad you like my blog. I will go check yours out now xxx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful animals - and wonderful funky jacket! Reminds me of something straight out of Gossip Girl (dream wardrobe!)

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, we like your beauty blog here at simply argan http://www.arganoil.co we were wondering if you would like to try our Argan Oil it is a great product for skin and hair and if you like it maybe you could mention it in you wonderful blog? email us at info@arganoil.co x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great blazer, I'm sure you will have tons of fun styling it! I found your blog on the LC forum and thought this would be a great way to connect so I am now following you on GFC. If you wouldn't mind doing the same for me, follow my link below!

    XoXo,

    Chantel
    http://stylesequence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)