Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Review: Benefit Fine One One

This brand new offering from Benefit is the latest product to be doing the rounds in the beauty blogging community.  I thought I would throw my thoughts into the mix given that I'm a big fan of Benefit and also a big fan of coral pink shades in a cheek product.

I won't ramble on too much, lets get down to reviewing Benefit Fine One One:


'Fine-one-one to the rescue! This sheer brightening cheek & lip color gives your look instant LIFT, SHAPE and POP. Glide on the three shades: pink champagne, sheer watermelon and soft coral.  For a sheer coral pink flush that builds from soft & natural to bright & cheery'. 

Fine-one-one was used backstage at Matthew Williamson’s SS13 shows and apparently a whole host of make-up artists and models became converted.



First off, it's no secret that I am rather fond of rose gold - I have developed a penchant lately so the packaging of Fine One One appeals to me no end.  I like the fact that the product comes in a retractable dispenser, avoiding any mess or fuss.


The oval shaped product contains a sheer pink champagne, very much like Benefit High Beam, an intense watermelon pink and a lovely true coral. The colours initially looked a bit bright for my naturally rosy cheeks but once applied, they gave a surprisingly natural-looking glow.  I did have issues with the fact that the product is flat and obviously my cheeks are curved so you have to work to get even application of each colour.  I did have to run it back and forth about three times to get the right amount.


After blending the product in with an upward sweeping motion, the result was a lovely coral glow to my cheeks.  I do think this is more of a blush product than a contouring tool though.  Once you have blended the colours together, you lose almost all of the contouring effect.  I was confused by this because you could have the same effect if all colours were mixed together and presented as a block colour.  It's also worth bearing in mine that the shade on my cheeks appeared brighter in real life than in the pictures.  I wouldn't say it's a product for newby blush users because the colour is quite intense. It was definitely on the upper scale of what's colour intensity for my personal taste.



The formulation is quite easy to work with but I felt like it could have been a little more on the silky and moisturising side.  It drags slightly on the skin.  Saying that it doesn't take too much work to blend in but I much prefer the liquid formulas of Posietint and Cha Cha Tint.  It could work better if applied with a brush but for me, that's too much of a faff.


I did try using the product on my lips but found it very drying.  I did find it worked better if you prepare the lips beforehand with a hydrating balm.  I used Rodial Glam Balm and that worked a treat.  

The product came with a small guide to show the different techniques that can be employed to achieve varying effects:


Overall I like what the product was trying to achieve but I'm not entirely convinced that it was successful.  It this a nice blush? Yes.  Is it an effective contouring tool? In my opinion, no.  If you like coral blushes then I would highly recommend Benefit Coralista which in my top three favourite blushes.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm I'm not convinced with this product at all. Looks pretty in the pan and gorgeous on you but not something I'd use. I need Coralista though, been on my list for yonks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll pass on this one. I can't deal with working stripes of colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks cheap & i am not a big fan of Benefit but saying that you do look stunning here Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not too keen on Benefit either but i'm intrigued by this one so might try it, you do look lovely in the photo's Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look lovely but seems too much faffing around for me

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)