Wednesday, 9 January 2013

The ASOS Peplum Blouse

I generally steered clear of peplum tops because depending on where the peplum detail was situated, they always seemed to make my hips look wider.  I found it increasingly difficult to find one that was flattering to my apple-type body.  However, when I spotted this version on Laura's blog, I felt like it may just work for me.


The reason why this peplum top appealed to me is probably because it's not your conventional, run-of-the-mill peplum top.  The peplum detailing is soft, flowing and originates from the highest point of your waist, giving a more stream-lined and flattering appearance.  The blouse is made from lightweight chiffon and with the addition of soft pleating, it gives it a lovely fluid quality.  


Leather Jacket: Next Signature
Blouse: ASOS
Skirt: Miss Selfridge
Bag: Modalu
Boots: Zara
Ring: Topshop
Necklace: Topshop
Watch: Michael Kors


Despite my 5'7 frame, I bought the petite version which actually falls just at the right point for my figure.  I was worried the blouse might not suit a larger-chested lady but worn with a statement necklace, it takes subtlely interrupts the area between your chest and your neckline, balancing the proportions nicely.


I wanted to toughen up the ladylike chiffon blouse with a leather jacket, heavier jewellery and my new studded Zara boots.  Alternatively, I think the blouse would work just as well with skinny jeans, giving a nice contrast to the flowing sleeves. I was pleasantly surprised with this blouse, it's bargain basement price and how easy it is to take care of.


The best thing about this top is that although it features a transient seasonal trend like the peplum, it's a softer version that looks more classical in style.  This means I can keep wearing it even when the trend fades without feeling like I'm flogging a dead horse.  We love trend-driven pieces that can transcend seasons.

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember seeing this on Laura's blog and thinking it looked so pretty. It looks great on you too. If I hadn't just gone a tad crazy on the sale shopping lately I might have been tempted to hop on over to ASOS, sadly that'll have to wait until next month when I'm feeling less guilty about my spending, haha!!

    Hope you have a very happy new year hun!

    Amelia @ Ducklingtoswan.com! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that sounds a bit like me. I have done waaaay too much shopping lately x

      Delete
  2. Its gorgeous & I love the sleeves too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really lovely top and looks so fresh x

      Delete
  3. Great outfit, love the boots! I've been debating this top as well but was nervous about purchasing as I too am 5'7", did you find it was true to size? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true to size yes. Well I'm a size 12 and I have a 34E chest so if it fits me, it will fit most people.lol.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Laura, feel a wee purchase coming on!

      Delete
  4. Oh the blouse is so versatile! It looks great on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a versatile top that can be very ladylike or made to look a bit edgy - love it x

      Delete
  5. do they still have it ...could you send the link?x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Petite/ASOS-PETITE-Exclusive-Sheer-Top-With-Peplum-And-3/4-Length-Sleeves/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2452796&cid=4877&sh=0&pge=5&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Ivory&MID=35718&affid=2134&WT.tsrc=Affiliate&siteID=QFGLnEolOWg-CpzICJE01JOnLJG8DbXs7g

      Delete
  6. I've been lusting after the top ever since I saw it feature twice on Laura's blog, but seeing it on you has just reiterated how beautiful it is! (You look stunning in it, btw!) Even though the pound is super strong against the NZD, I couldn't help myself and have ordered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous top and so versatile. Thanks for taking the time to comment xx

      Delete
  7. I love this top...as you know :) It's just such a nice take on peplum and your description of the fit is perfect. It looks fantastic on you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I got it now...I have worn it about five times since I bought it. Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous, it really suits you. I love the skirt your are wearing too. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, that is so pretty...off to log into asos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...does that make me an enabler???

      Delete
  10. Wow that looks amazing on you!!
    I have a peplum top that I rarely wear as I always seem to forget about it as I'm unsure if it looks good or not. Maybe I will have to get it back out the wardrobe and style it with my new leather jacket like you have!

    http://cosmeticsshoppingandintoxication.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to mix things up a little so give the leather jacket a go x

      Delete
  11. This is really lovely, gorgeous outfit xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)