Friday, 15 February 2013

Valentines and 25 Random Facts About Me

I'm not really one for Valentines Day, in that I don't really like to be crammed into a crowded restaurant playing a game of which couple loves each other more.  Our Valentines Days are always more low-key and I like to think that it's indicative of who we are as a couple.  The best times we have are spent curled up on the couch together chatting or watching a film.  So I can think of nothing more fitting for Valentines Day.


I spent the day cooking a lovely meal and cracked open some champagne we had hiding in the pantry, mixing it with some lovely blackcurrant Cassis.  A very yummy combination if you ever care to try.


I slow-cooked some beef brisket for the meal but I wanted to share the dessert recipe with you for a few reasons:

It's delicious
It's incredible easy to make
It looks impressive


Dark Chocolate Mousse:

Makes 2

2 medium eggs
60g chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
2 tsp sugar (or to taste)

Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl over, but not touching, a pan of simmering water. When the chocolate begins to melt, turn the heat off. Separate the eggs.

Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks, add the sugar, and whisk briefly.

Mix the egg yolks quickly into the melted chocolate and then whisk in a third of the egg white. Fold the rest very gently into the mixture until just combined (be careful not to over-mix), and then put into small tumblers or martini glasses and refrigerate while you make your white chocolate mousse.



White Chocolate Mousse:

85 gram(s) white chocolate
45 ml milk
1 egg white
dash of lemon juice
110 ml double cream

Melt the chocolate, stir in milk, set aside.
Whip the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff, then fold into the chocolate mixture until well combined.
Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
Gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
Divide into the two glasses on top of the dark chocolate mousse.
Melt some dark chocolate, let it cool for at least 10 mins and then pour over the top of the mousse.  Cut a strawberry in half and then into heart shapes to decorate.
Chill for at least 2 hours.

You have to try it...it's gorgeous!

I have seen this random fact tag going around and although I'm not really one for tag posts, I enjoyed reading other people's and thought I would have a bash at it myself...



25 Random Facts About Me

I am obsessed with mafia books and films
I didn’t take my driving test until November last year – luckily I passed.
Every time I get on a plane, I make my peace with god just in case it crashes – weird but true
My hair has been dyed just about every colour until I settled on a lighter version of my natural hair colour.
I started my blog 4 years ago after reading about Laura from Buy Now Blog Later in Company magazine
I never take myself too seriously and I admire that quality in other people
I have a degree in Computer Art and Japanese
I always check the desserts on a menu before ordering a starter
I can’t stand pretentiousness
My favourite smells are fresh coffee, fresh bread and my hubby’s favourite aftershave
Despite being a confident woman now, I was bullied a lot at school
Musicals, stage or film, are my idea of torture – apart from Grease for nostalgic reasons
I am fascinated by the Crime channel
I have a weird intuition about situations and people
My careers teacher at secondary school told me I would be a prison warden
Lack of manners, ignorance and people who are continuously late are all things that drive me crazy
I believe in taking chances – even when it scares you half to death
My mum is a Reiki Master and taught me everything I know about spirituality
I have full blown conversations with my dog, Decky when there’s no one else around
I have never considered myself to be ‘cool’
Having my hair brushed is absolute heaven to me – it sends me to sleep!
All the coolest people I know are geeks
Cooking and baking makes me happy – it’s a nurturing thing
Sometimes I still play that game with myself where you can’t step on the lines in the pavement
Making a difference and making other people happy is generally what motivates me

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you were bullied Laura, kids can be such little sh*ts!
    The prison warden fact made me laugh :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect Valentines date!!
    I love Mafia movies too!!
    THAT dessert oh my!!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)